About Community Swaps
Like sharing? Have skills? Bring goods and services you’d like to share, and you’ll be able to barter, give away or sell your offerings to other community members. The more we can provide for one another locally, the closer we are to sustainability!
At Share Tompkins Community Swap Meets people come together to express their haves and wants and work together to try to help people leave with what they need. Some examples of swaps include foraged chanterelle mushrooms for home-grown sprouts and web design in exchange for containers for an urban garden. With numerous swaps under our collective belt, we are demonstrating to ourselves that we can provide most, if not all, of what we need in our community and have a lot of fun in the process.
What to bring
- Food and Produce: veggies, teas, baked goods, jams, tofu, teas
- Body Care: tinctures, soaps
- Handmade Crafts: ceramics, woodwork, candles, art
- Stuff: electronics, housewares, tools, books, clothing
- Services: legal, health care, massage, bike repair, web design, accounting, shoveling, moving
- Space: living, work, storage, garden
Bring bags, boxes and carts to take stuff home in, and be sure to take back any items you bring which remain at the end of the event.
- Our goal is sustainability – please bring stuff that is locally-grown or made from local materials if possible, but anything is welcome!
- Please limit what you bring to what you can fit in a lap-sized box – you can always arrange for pick-up after the meeting.
- Be prepared to take back home with you whatever you don’t end up bartering or giving away.
- Please bring stuff that is in good condition or can be easily-repaired – no junk!
Wondering what our swaps are like? Check out this video: