Childcare and Parenting
- Babysitter Exchange – “Created in 2000 as a way to help young budget-conscious families connect with each other to get help with life’s every-day tasks. People now use it for babysitting, errands, carpooling, help around the house, tutoring, meal swaps, odd jobs, house sitting, caring for pets and anything else they can imagine.” The MOMS Club of Ithaca has a group on the site with 6 members.
- La Leche League of Tompkins County, New York – community meetings and breastfeeding help and information
- Ithaca Vegan Parents Network – potlucks, playgroups, childcare and resource sharing, holiday activities, advice and support
- Ithaca Doulas – have a healthier, safer, more empowering birth (not a free service)
- Fingerlakes Unschoolers Network – nonsectarian support group for people interested or involved in home education – field trips and workshops, newsletter, networking, lending library – sliding-scale membership $3-$10/year
- Birthnet of the Fingerlakes – “Dedicated to maintaining and improving options for birthing women and their families in the Fingerlakes Region of upstate New York”
- Jillian’s Drawers – they have many free events and a community room
- Mama Goose – buy / sell / trade kids’ clothing, toys, strollers, etc.
NATIONAL WITH LOCAL POTENTIAL:
- Zwaggle – a points-based trading network for parents and children – “You receive Zwaggle points (or Zoints) by giving your gently used things to other families, then use those Zoints to obtain “new” things for your family.”
- thredUP – exchange kids clothing online (uses shipping, not local)